Saturday 12 November 2011

Curry! (Amongst other things)

Many of you are probably questioning the exclamation mark in the post title and, as usual, I've taken it upon myself to explain what all the hub-bub is about. So, on Wednesday night we went out for curry - Indian Curry. It was incredible. Now, I don't want to be one of those blogger-dicks who talks about how amazing all their experiences in the country that you're not in are [I'm already one of those two laptop-dicks], but I need to talk about this Curry. Why? Because it wasn't Chinese food. It could've actually been sh*t [the butter chicken wasn't that great], but if it doesn't come with rice, noodles or some very suspicious cuts of meat it usually tastes like it was made by the gods to us ex-pats. You're probably thinking "But Chinese food is great!" Well, I resent your 'but' and throw back in your face the point that not only is Chinese food not  the same as what you get from 'down-the-road', but even you [yes, you] would get sick of it if you had to eat it everyday.

Chinese food back home [wherever that may be for you] is usually made by some well-off restaurant owning Cantonese family, who cater to the western unadventurous palate and don't use MSG. In China, they list MSG as one of the ingredients in their dishes, and even have some on the side next to the Salt and Pepper pots. Sure, the rice is cooked to perfection and the sauces and vegetables different and often delicious, but the meat is usually suspicious. If you want non-suspicious meat you're gonna have to cough up for it, but if you wanna eat for under 10 kuai [1 Brit Pound] don't question anything. But make sure you learn the character for dog.

So anyway we ordered about 5 or 6 different types of curry between us [there were 6 of us] as well as rice and some naan bread. And they had this amazing, cheese-filled Naan as well - I don't know who came up with that but they're a legend in my eyes. The meat was, of course, suspicious, but the rice as I mentioned before was beyond perfection. I had a small food coma after, always nice. Also, beer goes really well with Curry. Wow, I'm becoming more British everyday...


In other news, remember that speech competition I was complaining about [see 'Speech!'], well the school one was held today and I got Second place :-). I should explain that I wasn't the only one to get second - the competition was divided into classes, but out of 30 people I was 1 of 4 to get second. My Flatmates helped me film it, although they kept flipping the camera around and the sound on my camera isn't very good. But it's shot in black and white so it looks quite cool. Here's the link if you're interested:
My Speech


My Certificate of Awesomeness - 二等 means second place

After practising it to death everyday for a week, I found that it wasn't actually that difficult speaking in a language I don't speak in front of some hundred people. My teacher hugged me afterwards [I'm her favourite] and my Korean friends took more pictures than was really necessary, so it was all good fun in the end. I kept telling everyone I didn't want to do it and how annoying it was, but between you and me, I carried my prize under my arm all the way home.

My Prize- A collection of Beijing Opera Costume Make-up  panels

Comments & Questions     ^-^         Xx

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so impressed (and proud of course)

    ReplyDelete
  2. although the camera was moving around, i still can understand what you said from the video...Well done!!

    I especially like your gesture in the presentation...looks very natural...

    people laugh because they understand your content and feel happy and joy for your performance!!!

    You did very well!!
    Congratulations!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete