Wednesday 21 December 2011

Just a quick rant

I had gotten used to 随便 [suibian, lit 'as you please', here casually] studying and going to class as I wished, sometimes going out for dinner with friends, sometimes not even doing my homework. However, in the last few weeks everything's 差不多[chabuduo, more or less] gone to sh*t. Excuse the chinglish, you will soon discover why.

So we have exams soon. 'What of Christmas?!' I hear you cry, outraged from your fully decorated, Christmas ready homes. 'What is this Christmas of which you speak?' I reply, while you try as hard as you can to ignore the single tear rolling down my cheek. Do you know what I'm doing on Christmas eve and, more than likely, New Year's? Revising. Why take it to such extremes? Maybe because the Chinese have never heard of study leave. Now, I know my mum's gonna bring up some old school 3rd world crap about how back in her day there was none of this 'study leave' business, but I've already 习惯了d [xiguanle, gotten used to, the 'd' on the end is deliberate]. You can't just take it away like that! So, generally stressed about exams, as one tends to be.

So, knowing that we haven't yet finished our courses, you'd think the study-happy Chinese people would leave us to 努力学习[nuli xuexi, study really, really hard] in peace - after all we still have homework on top of revision. But no, ooooohhh no. What do they give us instead. An end of year 外国人[waiguoren, foreigners] production - singing, dancing, acting the lot. Now, in the next case of stressing my life, I wholly blame myself. Not wanting to take part in a mundane international rendition of 'Rudolph the Red-nose Reindeer', I volunteered myself to be a bit creative and write a Kungfu Play [stay tuned for a post on that one]. Nothing too complicated, just a bit of 'you killed my father?!' here, a bit of 'Shifu, please teach me well!' there. But it turns out I'm now the director of this play. Now, you know what I'm like when I'm in control - perfection is required. From everyone.

I cast the cast, wrote the story, wrote half the lines, creative and [in places] musically directed and set up and ran rehearsals. Sorry, I'm using the past tense too much. THIS IS STILL GOING ON. This bloody thing is in two days we have a total of 1/2 of the costumes, some of it practised, most people not coming to practise, no props and too many last minute decisions. 'Why don't we add this music here' 'Why don't we fight like this' 'Why don't we make some scenery'. This is why: WE HAVE NO TIME FOR THIS BS. Just read your lines and maybe we'll get away with it being a bit on the jokes side. Please. Just...please. To be honest, thank god I'm in control, if I was just participating I would have killed a few people by now... I refuse to mention names. At least from my position I have the power to inform people they will no longer be participating.

So this has all been going on until now- I had calmed down a bit when I realised that actually the main characters were quite reliable and I'm no longer in charge of every aspect, but then possibly the last thing that I could have wanted to happen JUST happened. Baring in mind this performance is occurring on Friday, and I have a part in this play as narrator as well as having to schedule more rehearsals, my teacher just called me to tell me I would be one of the hosts of the WHOLE production. I'm sorry, what? You want to tell me this................................................................................................now? Right now, is when you're telling me? We're not talking about a week ago, or preferably when I asked my teacher in passing about a month ago and just assumed I hadn't been chosen. You tell me 2 HOURS AGO that I am the 主持人 [zhuchiren, self-exaplanatory, if not look it up]?!?!?!?!?!!?!

Screw you China. Screw you.

So, now you understand why I haven't post anything in a while - because my life, at the moment, is balls. It is so balls, in fact, that I was originally going to call this post just 'Balls', but I thought the meaning would be lost upon those of you not among my immediate acquaintances. And Shinya.
Excuse me while I have no time to go and cry in a corner.

Comments & Help!       :'(      xx

No comments:

Post a Comment