Friday 26 August 2011

Going to China Part 2: A list of things

When I'm not languidly watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, "practicing" my "listening skills"  whilst doing my hair, I occasionally give thought to the fact that I'm going to China in about 4 days and need to prepare accordingly. Well the end part's taken care of, thanks to a few connections....;) So, when I get to China I will have a house waiting for me. WOOOOOOOO.
This is the benefit of having friends who are more proactive than you are, got to China first, did some studying then got a flat for you to live in. I don't care if they're better than me at Chinese [the way I see it, everyone is], I just wanted the house. Thanks Holly and Serrena!
The real issue then is knowing what I need to take, putting it into a bag and leaving this inexorably rainy land to hit the 'beach' - Dalian is a 海边城市 [haibian chengshi: seaside city] if you didn't know.

My friend Sophie asked how I was going to pack an entire year into 2 suitcases. "With ease." I replied, laughing raucously [not really, I just wanted to use that word. Who laughs raucously besides Ganondorf?]. If you're an ethnic minority, you'll understand what I mean when I say I come from the type of family who laughs in the face of  20kg baggage allowances and have the type of mother who could pack a mattress into her hand luggage. Don't mess. My mum taught me everything she knows - of course I'm still an apprentice in comparison, but she'll be there to help - and so the problem is not the packing.

Now being a female [a mixed race, crazy-haired female at that], there are certain things that are gonna be necessary for me to take, if you catch my drift. Now, I'll save you the rant about my hair, noone's interested in what hair products will  be lacking in China, but I do have have a small complaint to file. Did you know that they don't sell tampons in China. Yeah, TAMPONS, I know right? I mean, seriously wtf?! aloihfolfblagvfbloewbgow. What exactly do you expect me to DO for 5 days each month?! HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM?!! Well, I'll tell ya know, there's gonna be a lot of buying in bulk and overseas shipping there. What is that, some sort of Communist thing?! Well screw you! Hrumph.

Also, I got a message from Holly [one of my flatmates in China] telling me that English Tea [you know, PG Tips and shi'] were nowhere to be found. I'm sorry, is China not one of the two lands that falls into the category "Land where Tea began"? [The other, of course, being India.] I'm pretty sure the pic on one tea brand is  of an Asian lady picking tea leaves!  Another thing to buy.

Oh, and apparently Deodorant's about as easy to find as Col Gaddafi , so more shipping and buying in bulk. Honestly, for country that's soon to become one of, if not THE, world's biggest economy, they've still got a lot of home market breaking to do. Deodorant. Really, guys? Really? Next I'm gonna get there and they're gonna say "Duibuqi, we don't sell body lotion." at which point I'll be outta there, cos a year without moisturiser's a joke.

Needless to say I'm taking my own make-up products, thank you very much!
Well that's  enough ranting and raving for now. Let me actually go and do some of this fabled packing I keep talking about!

Comments & Questions :P               xx

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious...sounds just like Nigeria....tampons and a great many items are like looking for a needle in a haystack

    ReplyDelete