Thursday 26 September 2013

My first week of school

My first week of school? But I've been teaching since last Monday! How could it possibly still be my first week? These are questions I ask myself every day. There is only one answer: China.

Yes, I did indeed start teaching last Monday. But then there was a 1-day holiday. 'What's the problem then?' You ask. Well, that holiday fell on a Thursday. 'But what's the point in missing Thursday then going to work on Friday?' China asks itself. 'I know, let's move the weekend back one day!' GREAT. But wait, that means I have to work on Sunday and have a 6-day week. That's OK though...except on Wednesday you have to teach Friday's lessons, and on Sunday you teach Wednesday's lessons. Confused yet? Well, guess what's happening next week...National Day! Which means a whole week off school! Oh but wait, that means I have to work this weekend as well. So it's an 8-day working week. An 8-day working week. And just in case you weren't already infuriated and confused on my behalf, on Friday I will teach Monday's classes, on Saturday Tuesday's classes, and on Sunday....Friday's classes. So I'm working Sunday to Sunday, and last week I only taught 3 days. So basically, my first week of school just. won't. end.

But enough whinging, how's the actual teaching going? Good, I would say. Not bad, not so fantastic I want to die because I know I'll never experience anything better, but good. Good+. The students are largely well-behaved - and even when they're not, they're not naughty like how we were back in school. Their major offences include talking while I'm talking and giving me some back chat, and that's really only one class. I'm firm but fair really, and to be honest the repeat offenders have some of the best English out of all my students, and take part in the lesson even when I make the stand against the wall. I teach grade 7, and it's just so amusing when 12 year olds try and give me attitude, or think that I can't see them not paying attention. They get so shocked when I get in their face and make them stand up and answer questions in front of the entire class. But these misdemeanors are barely worth mentioning: some classes are good, some classes are amazing, and some classes are like drawing blood from a stone, but I think I'm making progress.

It's also great to see the students' reactions when they find out I can speak/write Chinese. If they don't understand something (after I've explained it for the 10th time with big gestures and small words) then I may write it in Chinese - reactions range from applause to shrieking. It's a good moment. 

THE FIRST TIME I WRITE CHINESE CHARACTERS ON THE BOARD

Something that's interesting about Chinese kids is the fact that attitudes tend to be class based. If a class is good at English, all 60 of them are quick and will get what I'm saying immediately. Class 13 are useless. Full stop. Class 14 are all excited to be there, classes 15 and 6 are scarily intelligent, and class 8 are naughty in a way that occasionally makes me want to slap them, but are also a class of jokers....who are actually pretty good at English. It's kind of weird, sort of like there's no individual personality - though the real jokers (and those who have learnt English before) stand out. 

They were also alllll really excited to see me (and Chris, the other teacher at the junior school) for the first lessons, and even nearing the end of week 3 there are still students yelling "外教!" (waijiao, foreign teacher) in the corridor when we walk past. I think they're slowly getting used to us though, a few of the students are even friendly, and some of them are genuine friends. There'll be more on the 'English corner kids' in a different post - they deserve a private mention. Needless to say, I think the novelty is slowing but surely wearing off...at least in the classroom it is.

WHEN I WRITE A CHARACTER ON THE BOARD INCORRECTLY

The teachers are a mixed bag. the English teachers of the classes I teach are largely friendly and, again, some of them are making efforts to be friends. The material for the classes is pretty unimaginative, so some of them are a little too impressed by the fact that I get the students up and moving in the first lesson. Most of them know that I speak Chinese, and I've made one friend who actually makes an effort to practice with me. Most of the staff don't know however, so it's interesting to see what they have to say...although it's irritating when I'm not in a good mood. To be fair, it's usually just comments on the fact that I exist ('Oh look, one of the foreign teachers' 'The foreign teacher is here, they don't speak Chinese, do they?') or comments on my outfit/figure....and by figure I mean booty. I must say, they're usually quite favourable - I've been told I resemble Halle Berry more than once, which is, of course, a complete fallacy.

Ok, boring post about teaching, I know. To make up for it, here are some pictures of pandas. We went to the reserve (which is surprisingly near our town) during the Mid-Autumn Festival and the place itself - as well as the pandas - is beautiful and incredible. I'd definitely be willing to go again if any future visitors are interested.


Wait, of course you are. It's pandas.

Pandas - Po and Dede

Panda eating whilst on side

Panda eating whilst on back...seriously, all they did was
lie down and eat. Pretty sweet deal.

BABY. PANDAS.
Moving image - as proof that I really was there...
and that the pic with me and the pandas wasn't super-imposed

Be jealous. Be very jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment