Sunday 30 October 2011

Disconnected

Did you know that they've changed [or are planning on changing] the British Royal family succession laws? I didn't. That's because I have no idea what's going on in the world. Although I wasn't amazing at keeping up with what was going on when I was living in England, I still had a sort of sense of what was occurring. It's a bit hard to avoid when you live in London really, especially when people keep asking you if there are rioters on your street, or if the royal wedding procession will be anywhere near Lewisham Highstreet. I had feelers out, you know? Or rather my mum used to bring the Guardian home with her from work. Also, I had the type of friends where if you weren't up to the minute with current affairs you looked a right twat. Also, Made in Chelsea used to be on just after the news.

But anyway, my point is that between the shit that China keeps throwing at me, Chinese homework that takes up the time that Chinese class doesn't and manufacturing a social life, I really don't have time to give a crap about what's going on in the UK. As if it weren't bad enough that I'm out of touch with my own land, I also have no idea what's going on in the country I currently reside in. At least I'm better than my classmates, who didn't even know that Hu JinTao is the President of the PRC, but that's really not saying much. If you were looking for an update on China's political climate, or how the country's politics/international affairs/affairs affected everyday life, you're not gonna find it here.

I've had a couple of people tell me now that I don't talk about China enough in my blog, but I'm sorry guys, I really don't know what to tell ya. There really isn't an excuse - this stuff is directly related not only to my degree but also my day-to-day life. Well, at least I think it is. To be honest, I travel between home and class [a 20 minute walk] everyday, each lunch with my classmates, do work in my room, eat at my local [3 minutes away from my room], talk to my flatmates [in English] and go to the same [English speaking] bars and clubs on the weekends. Besides the shockingly obvious fact that corruption in China is really holding back on any form of efficiency, I can't say that China's news is having an effect on my life at all. Remember - China's a big place!

I am going to make more of an effort to read more about Chinese current affairs though, and then tell you about how I'm so up-to-date with Chinese current affairs and then find away to link Chinese current affairs directly into my life cos, you know, I'm living in China now. I hope you're looking forward to it as much as I am ^-^ . Of course none of this reading will actually take place in Chinese...You try reading a Chinese newspaper - it's all dots and dashes! If I could even read a headline that would be a really good Mandarin day for me! But seriously, I'm going to get out there and see more of Dalian - you know go some places and take some pictures - if only to stop this blog from becoming a gossip column!

Comments & Questions        Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment