Monday 10 October 2011

I Miss Western Food

Due to unprecedented demand [one of my friends asked me to hurry up with the updates] I've come up with the only subject of interest that has occurred over the past few weeks. Well, that I care to write about on here anyway :P. That is that I miss western food. Seriously. I miss it so much it hurts, literally. Literally as in ...well, lets just say my stomach hasn't quite settled into China - neither has my anything else to be honest. Although, I appear to have developed an unhealthy addiction to the Sweet and Sour from our dingy local, not that anything here is healthy. I don't think I've had any fruit in a month and any vegetables come with a side of beef. Also, the Chinese attempt a lot of western foods but just get it so wrong e.g. chocolate, occasionally milk [they like putting fruit in it] and cheese. One time we went to Pizza Hut just to eat cheese - it was so wrong but so good. My cravings for Western food get so bad that I get KFC/MacDonalds more times in a week here than I do in a year in Britain. Needless to say I'm putting on weight. Really must start attending the gym.

Which brings me on to the next thing that I miss - good ol' British efficiency. I want to join the gym [really, I do, you can't run in this country, for reference see my 'Taxi!!' post ] but the University 留学生办公室 [Foreign students office] has my passport. Yes, still. It's been how long exactly? Oh yeah, forever. Give me back my passport bitches!!!! Notice how I didn't * that out. I'm that pissed. It's also preventing me from opening a bank account, which is also preventing me from buying a new laptop, which is finally preventing me from using the internet at my leisure. I did go to buy a laptop at the city's 电子城 [Lit. Electronic City, a magical place where all wonder of electronic items can be bought at Chinese prices - things really are cheaper here], but alas, they did not accept my foreign Nationwide card. Bastards. I had my eye on this really cute, tiny £250 laptop as well, which I had haggled down from £275 before I was shot down. :(


We also had a holiday last week, which I suppose is something of note. Well, it would have been if I had done anything of interest whatsoever. The only interest I did have had jetted of to Shanghai for the week, which left me plan-less [no passport, so no travelling. seriously, you can't do anything without a passport in this country] and stuck at home. We went out a few times and I got very, very drunk on one occasion, but the week passed aimlessly, though i did get quite a bit of Chinese done. It was nice not having to wake up at 6 a.m everyday, but those times are now over until January!


I still want to change classes [mine only appears to be getting easier], but haven't yet worked up the courage to ask my teacher, having failed the 'exchange class' test. I'm undoubtedly one of the best students in my class - this is not even bragging, it's just the simple truth because I've already studied all of this stuff before. Not that I'm the best by a mile, or even the best at all. there's this one Russian guy who's so desperate to change classes that he talks at the speed of light when the teacher asks him a question, calls out [at often inappropriate times, but usually with the right answer] and rushes ahead when the class has to read from the textbook as a whole. I don't care if he changes class, I just want the prize that you get at the end of each term for being the top student. Knowing China it's probably money.
Besides, my teachers all really like me in this class. Well, at least I think they do. When people are lost the teachers will often turn to me for the answer, but I think they've started picking on me when I start falling asleep, just to keep me on my toes. In any case, people have remarked that I get picked on the most - usually for the harder/ just-learnt-twenty-seconds-ago-now-give-an-example-off-the-top-of-your-head stuff.


That's about all I can update you on for now....here...have some pictures...


      Oh yeah, we went bowling as well! That was fun.



Happy now Leela?                          <:o)                 xx

No comments:

Post a Comment