Saturday 25 February 2012

Cancelled

I was so determined that China wouldn't screw me over this term. I'd already done everything in terms of living and uni - I'd paid my rent and electricity bills for at least 3 months, I had a bank account with money in it, I knew all the teachers at uni so I could just stroll in having paid my tuition fees. I even had things to look forward to, such as seeing all my friends again and swapping holiday stories, as well as meeting people to talk about potential  jobs. In my eyes, I had it all sorted. What is it they say again? Something about smug dickheads being kicked in the arse because fate was bored?

Having traversed the whole of Asia to get to Shanghai, I was in for a surprise. My flight, as well as all other internal flights, had been cancelled. Something about fog and thunder storms. This wouldn't have happened had I gone to Beijing. Just sayin'. I was then told to come back in two days - unperturbed but slightly upset, I asked where, exactly, I would be staying for these two days. The attendants kindly informed me that they would not be paying for hotels. Everyone's flight was cancelled, so everyone would have to deal with it. Of course, that wasn't what they'd told me an hour before, but I was determined to remain unperturbed and just booked the first hotel I came across.

Not too far from the airport, getting into town would have been difficult had I actually tried. I was going to go into Shanghai, but I had readily forgotten the weather preventing my flight from taking off, which turned out to be the same weather preventing me from going outside. That was fine though, as my flight was at 11, so I didn't really have time to mope anyway.

Oh wait sorry, did I say that was fine? What I actually meant to say was my life is bulls**t, because when I got to the airport they told me the flight was full and I would have to wait on standby till a seat was available. About 10 false hopes later [literally everyone was in the same position as me, and it seemed the only people not getting on any flights were the people going to Dalian] I started looking for alternate measures of transport. Full trains to Dalian, Beijing and every other city between Shanghai and Mongolia showed that everyone had had the same bright idea as me.

Listless after hours of crying [yes, I cried. Shamelessly], not eating, queueing and running around Shanghai Pudong Airport like a mad woman, I finally settled for what they could guarantee. 9:45PM on the 26th. IF the flight leaves on time, I still wouldn't get home till midnight, which in my eyes places me firmly on the 27th, when I was meant to be home on the 22nd. Fml.

My parents - love me they do - booked me into a hotel in the centre of town so I could see Shanghai proper. All my friends that I spoke to told me to make the most of it. If one more person tries to console me, I might claw my own face off, but I'm sure that feeling will pass. Those of you who know me know that I hate not being in control. Heck, those of you who read my posts from when I first got to China probably know that too. I think this would probably count as the epitome of controless...ness. One friend told me to, essentially, f**k it, chill out and watch some pay-per-view. I don't think they know how much they cheered me up.

Ah well, I suppose I will have to get off my arse and go and see Shanghai. But not too much - I'm staying in the nicest hotel.....

My hotel room is bigger than my rooms in London and Dalian put together


Xx     *sigh...*


1 comment:

  1. Love the statement:
    "What is it they say again? Something about smug dickheads being kicked in the arse because fate was bored?"

    Think you'll find that's the synopsis for all those Greek myths: Achilles, Odysseus etc, etc

    ReplyDelete