Sunday 5 February 2012

The Lone Wolf Travels Part 3 - From the Ancient to the Modern Capital

Hostel Bar
 Look, everyone who cares knows about Beijing, and if not, look it up. So I'm just gonna do a sort of picture post here. There'll be some comment along the way. Enjoy.                                  

Hostel Room
lol

 When she eventually left her room, Edi visited the Great Wall of China.

I feel I should explain, Edi's really afraid of heights. So when they were like 'get into this open-air  death trap that is secured only by your body weight holding down the bar', let's just say that it took buckets of courage to take this photo.

View of the  Wall from the Cable Car

Look how wonky these stairs are...





You get to toboggan down! It was epic.


Me on the wall  
Then Edi visited The Forbidden City, the seat of the Imperial family from the Ming to the last [Qing] Dynasty.
The moat around the Forbidden City
Entrance to the Forbidden City

It's Mao!

Yes, I do know what it says. No, look it up yourself.























And finally, the last place in Beijing anyone really cares about, Tiananmen Square.

Mao's Mausoleum - I came too late to go in :(


Qianmen - lit. front gate - originally the front gate to the city


Memorial to the Heroes





Garden in the Forbidden City

I hate the way blogger arranges pictures, but sorting it out's such a pain that, as you can see, I ended up just giving up. Hope something there was of interest, other than my evident waning effort. Good day all, hope these pictures inspire you to leave your homes in mid-winter to go and visit these sites. I hear it's the land of sweat in the summer.

Xx

3 comments:

  1. your so asian taking photos of the signs that tell you about the place haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gonna tell us what that sign said or what???

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's not translated, I don't know what it says 'Anonymous'.

    ReplyDelete