Sunday 5 February 2012

The Lone Wolf Travels Part 1 - Xi'an

Look at that title, you know you love it.

Xi'an, the root of history in China. I knew I was going to have a lovely time here when the girl who worked in the hostel told me I was beautiful, despite being sniffly and dishevelled from a day of travelling and being surrounded by Chinese people in a small space. My room is frickin' freezing, but lovely and, hey, the heating works so I'm sure I'll live [if there are no more posts after this one, disregard that last statement].
My Room









The day I arrived it was 9 o'clock before I got settled and I was far too tired to even move so I went straight to sleep after having booked my tour to the 兵马俑 【bingmayong,Terracotta Warriors 】. I woke up with a full cold but determined nonetheless [seriously I've been ill like 7 times since I got to China]. Looking probably as ill as I felt, I set out with my guide and, obviously, two handsome German guys. They were nice, good German humour, and the guide was lovely and gave us many a history lesson as well as a lesson on 西安话【xi'an hua, Xi'an dialect】which was just far too difficult and will never be remembered nor used by myself.

The Warriors themselves were interesting, but not overwhelming - they are just statues after all. The whole place is really interesting though, and I definitely recommend going, especially with a tour guide, otherwise all you're gonna see is a lot of holes in the ground. After that we were treated to some local food, which was very nice, and were then taken home where I took a nap after a long morning. I hope you guys are enjoying the story of my life - I'll try and intersperse it with some pictures.














Saving up my shopping and the famous Muslim Quarter for day 2, I decided to take an evening ramble to a park that I found on my map, not too far from the hostel. It turned out to be beautiful - Dalian is a very modern city with no ancient sites or generally picturesque locations just lying about, so I'm probably exaggerating slightly, but it was still nice. Afterwards, I went to a local restaurant, instead of eating at the hostel like a real 外国人【waiguoren, foreigner, she says sitting at the bar using the free Wifi. After confirming the fact that I was, indeed, not Indian, I got recommended some splendid local food and then returned home.







All in all a pleasant first day on holiday. Alone. Let's just hope it stays this way.


XxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment