Sunday 5 February 2012

The Lone Wolf Travels Part 2 - Muslims, Mosques and Mutton

If you didn't know, it would probably be nice to discover that Xi'an was the eastern terminal of the Silk Road, the ancient trade route that brought not only spices but also Islam to the Far East. As a consequence, Xi'an has a substantial Muslim population, at least for China [I think there are something like 1 million in total]. One of the main features of Xi'an, that will be recommended to you by any avid China-traveller, is the Muslim quarter. Essentially a really, really big market in the centre of the city, it's the best place to buy souvenirs as well as get some amazing food. 

A place near the Muslim Quarter
I didn't get any street food, but I saw loads of people eating this dish where you crumble some unleavened bread [that's bible vocab right there], into a soup with either mutton or beef. It looked and smelled great, so I decided to try it. It. Was. Amazing. Honestly, I was so upset that I couldn't finish it [I know right? That's how you know there was a lot], because it was so tasty and cheap grrrrrrrrrrrllllllllllllalaaalalallalala. It was good. You guys should try it, I have no idea what it's called, because when I walked into one of the hundreds of restaurants, I was swiftly asked 'BEEF OR MUTTON' and then sat down, whereupon my soup arrived pre-crumbled. I think there's also noodles in there somewhere- Xi'an has a big noodle culture.

'People's' Theatre
Oh yeah, I also did some sightseeing, such as the the famous Bell and Drum towers - the symbols of the city. The bell of the Bell tower used to be stricken at dawn, the drum at dusk. I also saw the [outside] of the Great Mosque which, being built in 742, is one of the oldest Mosques in China.

Bell Tower




Drum Tower 

 Xi'an is also one of the few cities in China to retain its original city limits wall. Obviously it's been refurbished, but the original structure and much of the brickwork still remain.

 And that's it for Xi'an. One 13 hour train journey later, I arrived in Beijing...

Xx

1 comment:

  1. Edi, i know for sure now that you are my food soulmate.
    However, in my moment of exitement i have forgotten what that beef/mutton bread thing is called! It's delicious, I finished mine though. Shame on you!

    If you don't know who this is...
    Im never going to eat a family sized bucket of fried chicken with you again!

    love from your secret admirer.

    ReplyDelete